Connect with us

Sports

Harry Kane included in Tottenham’s 25-man squad for Europa Conference League play-off tie vs Pacos de Ferreira

Published

on

Harry Kane was left out of Tottenham’s squad which faced Manchester City on Sunday amid continued speculation over whether he will remain at the club beyond the summer transfer window; City tabled a £100m bid for Kane earlier this summer which was rejected.

Harry Kane has been included in Tottenham’s 25-man squad for their Europa Conference League play-off tie at Pacos de Ferreira on Thursday.

The forward was omitted from Nuno Espirito Santo’s squad which defeated Manchester City 1-0 in their Premier League opener on Sunday, amid speculation over his future.

Tanguy Ndombele and Serge Aurier are also not included in the squad which will travel to Portugal.

Kane was subject to a £100m bid from City earlier this summer, which was rejected by Tottenham, and the Premier League champions remain eager to sign the England captain during the transfer window.

he 28-year-old’s omission from Nuno’s matchday squad for their win over Pep Guardiola’s side has intensified talk surrounding a potential exit from the club this summer.

He took part in full Tottenham training last Friday after completing individual sessions during his isolation period following his belated return to pre-season training.

When questioned in his post-match interview about Kane’s absence for their first game of the season, Nuno said: “Harry is one of the best players in the world, so we are very lucky to have him.

“He has to get ready and help the team. We still have to go to Portugal and then we think about Wolves [on Sunday].

“Harry worked this morning, is preparing himself and when he is ready he will join the group and help the team.”

Kane believes he has a gentleman’s agreement with chairman Daniel Levy to depart his boyhood club after reiterating his desire to leave earlier this year, but Levy has hinted that a deal could be difficult to do, with the striker still under contract until the summer of 2024.

He was last season’s top scorer in the Premier League with 23 goals, and the Spurs striker has found the net 221 times in 336 games for the club in all competitions.

England's Harry Kane applauds the fans following defeat in the penalty shoot-out to Italy
Image:Harry Kane took an extended break and reported late for Tottenham’s pre-season training following his involvement in England’s run to the Euro 2020 final

New signing Cristian Romero came off the bench during the victory over City, while Bryan Gil and Pierluigi Gollini were unused substitutes.

Pacos de Ferreira were fifth in the Portuguese top-flight last season and the reverse fixture at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium will be played on August 26.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

How AC Milan missed out on Ghanaian youngster Felix Afena-Gyan

Published

on

Afena Gyan scores brace for AS Roma against Genoa

Afena-Gyan makes Serie A record

Afena-Gyan valued at €20m

Ghanaian youngster Felix Afena-Gyan may be excelling for AS Roma but he could have ended up at rivals AC Milan.

The youngster has risen from the youth side of the Italian giants and taking a spot on the first team where he is in the process of establishing himself as a key cog in Jose Mourinho’s side.

His two goals in AS Roma’s victory over Genoa made him the first player born in 2003 to score in the Italian top flight league.

It has however emerged that Afena-Gyan was once on the books AC Milan and could have had his development in Milan instead of Rome.

Oliver Arthur, the Ghanaian football agent credited with the discovery of the 18-year-old has revealed that Afena-Gyan had trials with AC Milan who were interested in signing him.

Oliver Arthur says the choice of AS Roma as the club for Afena-Gyan was informed by his quest to get a place where the youngster’s development was not going to be impeded.

“He initially had trials at AS Roma, then Sassuolo before going to AC Milan. Milan, just like the other clubs, was very much interested in him. But, we needed to make a decision and look at the best for the player and we settled on AS Roma,” he said Kumasi-based Pure FM.

Oliver Arthur also spoken about how the youngster’s stock has risen since he broke into the first team of AS Roma.

He disclosed that Afena-Gyan is now valued at €20million following his good display for AS Roma.

“It will really be difficult. Very difficult. Range? May be between €15m-€20m. For what he’s done and the abilities he possesses, I think, yes, €20m” he told Angel TV

Continue Reading

Sports

Africa to use VAR in World Cup play-offs after Ghana vs South Africa incident

Published

on

Ghana defeats South Africa 1-0

South Africa petitions FIFA over penalty in Ghana game

Senegalese referee to be punished by FIFA, says South Africa coach

The Video Assistant Referee (VAR) will be used in the final phase of the 2022 World Cup qualifiers, Gianni Infantino, the President of the Federation of International Football Association (FIFA) has said.

Infantino has disclosed that FIFA and CAF will use the technology in the play-off to improve officiating in those matches.

Speaking at the extraordinary general assembly of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) in Cairo, Egypt Infantino said FIFA is making efforts to enhance the quality of matches and introduction of VAR is one of the measures.

“The final stage of the African World Cup qualifiers will see an improvement in refereeing performance due to the use of VAR,” said Infantino.

The President of CAF, Patrice Motsepe who is a South African refused to comment on the specific case of Ghana versus South Africa but promised an investment in officiating.

“We are going to invest in the competitions because our competitions are everything,” said Motsepe.

“That’s why the announcement that we are making today regarding referees is critically important. Africa have got good referees, and we have got world-class referees. We’ve also got referees who are not so good.

“Then we’ve also got referees who are even further from not so good, but they all try. We want to train them, and also pay them good money and look after them. So that they can make a career out of being referees.”

Ghana defeated South Africa 1-0 at the Cape Coast Stadium on November 14, 2021 via a controversial penalty.

Defender Daniel Amartey earned Ghana the penalty which was converted by skipper Andre Ayew on the 33rd minute.

South Africa took issues with the decision by referee Ndiaye and petitioned FIFA to probe what they perceive to be match manipulation.

According to SAFA, the referee was compromised and thus ruled the game in favour of the host team.

The Ghana Football Association has meanwhile disputed the claims and emphasized the Black Stars deserved victory.

It is expected FIFA will issue a verdict on the game in the coming days.

The draw for the play-off will be held in January next year after the Africa Cup of Nations.

The ten countries that have qualified include Ghana, Egypt, Algeria, Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Mali, Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal and Tunisia.

Continue Reading

Sports

Forget about replay FIFA, will only ban referee Ndiaye Maguette – Hugo Broos

Published

on

It appears that head coach of South Africa, Hugo Broos has given up hope of forcing a replay of the 2022 World Cup qualifier against Ghana from FIFA.

The Black Stars defeated the Bafana Bafana of South Africa by a lone goal to secure the only slot in group G for the play offs of the 2022 World Cup.

South Africa after the game accused the match official of match fixing, match manipulation among others before lodging an official complaint with FIFA.

Ghana had a penalty after Daniel Amartey went to ground in the penalty box following a challenge from Rushine De Reuck although it appeared soft there was a nudge in the back of the Leicester City defender.

The Senegalese referee Ndiaye Maguette who was standing just a few meters outside the penalty box swiftly awarded the penalty without any second thought.

FIFA urged the two Associations that is Ghana and South Africa to present any comments or evidence it deems appropriate latest by 20th November 2021 as they referred the protest to the FIFA Disciplinary Committee who began their work on 23rd November,2021.

FIFA is now due to issue a verdict on that appeal which has created friction between Ghana and South Africa in football circles.

Ahead of the verdict, South Africa’s Belgian tactician doesn’t seem confident.

“Fifa met on Tuesday,” Broos told HLN Sportcast. “We expect a decision in the course of this week. It’s not just about the penalty kick, it’s about the whole game. The referee made 71 decisions, 47 of which were foul. The analysis has shown that. And 90 percent of those 47 wrong decisions were against us.”

“You have to be able to prove something like that in black and white. Was he bribed? Wasn’t he pressured? Or was he just having a really bad day? The numbers are there, but is that enough for FIFA? I personally think that it will remain with a suspension for the referee and that we should not count on a replay.” he said.

The draw for the play offs will come off in January while the matches will be played in March 2022.

Continue Reading

Trending Now